Thursday, July 7, 2011

2 Month Update

Dear Isaiah,

I know this is a little late, but I want to tell you all about your second month of life!

I can't believe how much you're growing. I can't believe that over 2 months ago, you entered my life. I can't believe how fast everything is going.

You are an AMAZING little boy, Isaiah, and the love of my life, the apple of my eye, my pride and joy.

We took you in for your 2 month check-up on June 16th, and you are just as healthy as can be! You weighed 11 pounds, 12 ounces (50%) and were 24.5" long (90%). Your head was 15.75" in circumference (25%).

Your doctor was very impressed by how strong you are! We told him that you were a strong one, but I think he's so used to hearing parents brag on their kids that he thought we were exaggerating. Sure enough, though, when he held you on your stomach, he was surprised by how high you could lift your head. He said that you have the neck/head control of a 4-month-old, and based on your strength, he thinks you'll be rolling pretty soon!

You also got your first immunizations at your 2 month appointment. You handled the shots VERY well; I was so proud of you! You cried initially, but you calmed right down when we held you and I nursed you afterwards. Those shots sure did make you sleepy, though! That night, you went to bed right away at 7:30 and didn't wake up to eat until 4:30 am! You slept most of the next day and still slept well the next night, too. Beyond that, soreness in your legs was your only other symptom from the vaccinations. I'm so proud of you!

You got much better at sleeping during your second month of life. By the time you hit two months, you pretty much figured out that bedtime starts at 7:30 pm, and were almost always asleep by 8 or 8:30 at the latest. I'm very grateful for that (and for the medicine you are on for your silent reflux, since that's a huge reason bedtime is going so much better now)! You definitely got into a groove of having a fussy time about an hour or so before bedtime, but I don't mind it so much when I know that you're going to go down well. Plus, you know your routine now, so as soon as I put you down on the changing table to change your diaper at 7:15 or so, you start calming down, and if there's any fuss that's hanging on after that, it immediately disappears once you're swaddled.

Speaking of, when you go to sleep, you LOVE to be swaddled! We used to use the Swaddle Me, but you were REALLY good at getting your hands free, so during your second month of life, I bought a couple Miracle Blankets and started using those. Those swaddlers are aptly named, because they really do work miracles! You still have figured out how to get your arms free, but it's a lot more work for you to do so and usually you aren't able to accomplish it until morning, anyway.

You also learned to self-soothe a bit more during your second month, which means that you are sometimes able to get yourself back to sleep by yourself if you happen to wake up a bit when I put you down.

By the time you hit two months, your daytime feedings came every 3-4 hours, and you got yourself on a pretty consistent nighttime schedule, waking up every night at 1:30 and 4:30 am to eat, and then almost always waking up for the day between 7-8 am.

Near the beginning of your second month, I discovered that I could get you to take a nap without me holding you if I put you in your carseat after rocking you into a deep sleep. This came in handy, because I was finally, finally, FINALLY able to take a shower during the day instead of having to wait until your dad gets home from work at night. We used the rest of your second month of life to try to encourage this habit; it still isn't consistent, but we're working on it!

On the same day that I discovered that you would take a nap in your carseat, you also smiled in response to me for the very first time! It was AMAZING! After I showered, you woke up from your nap, and I put you down on the bed to "play" with you. I started tickling your thighs, and you just gave me this big, beautiful smile! You were very, very smiley for the next few minutes, but every time I tried to take a picture of your smile, you would get distracted by the camera and your smile would disappear...but it really doesn't matter. All that matters is that I got to experience your very first real smile!!! That happened on May 26, 2011, when you were 1 month, 1 week old, and your smiling has only increased ever since! You really are a very happy baby boy :)

By the end of your second month, you also learned that diaper changes really aren't too bad - you even smile during or after most of them now!

By the end of your second month, you also learned that baths don't have to be as awful as you were making them before this time. Instead of crying (or screaming!) through them, you now just kind of sit there and stare at me or the tub with a sulky look on your face. You still don't love baths, but at least you don't hate them anymore!

All in all, Isaiah, you are just a pleasure to have as my son. You are beautiful, strong, healthy, and happy. I love, love, love you with all of my heart, little boy! Thank you for being my son :)

All My Heart,

Momma

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh, I love reading your updates! Little Isaiah is doing so well - and I loved reading about the first time he smiled. When you hear that first laugh, it will knock your socks off!

    It's amazing how fast the time goes by. I happened to notice your new blog profile picture and saw your other blog. Hope you don't mind that I signed up as a follower on that one, too!

    It sounds like he is a pretty good sleeper! I think my little guy started sleeping through the night at about 3 1/2 months old. I didn't do anything special... he just kept sleeping one night! I bet since you have such a good and consistent bedtime routine, it will help him start sleeping longer stretches through the night soon.

    Naps have been a much harder thing. Mostly cause my little guy fought falling asleep with everything he had in him! We've been working on that, though, and in the last few weeks things have been so much better.

    Well-rested baby = Happy baby

    I started a private blog about my baby; I will add you so you can follow, if you would like. Send me a quick email at searchingforladybugs@hotmail.com if you are interested, and I can add your email address to the blog.

    Hope everything continues to go good - I know you will be soaking up every minute with Isaiah! I don't get the time to update much on my blog - but I know you understand why!

    Sending lots of love!

    ReplyDelete