Thursday, October 7, 2010

And we're back

Dear Baby,

I'm sorry it's been so long since I wrote to you. We've had a very busy couple of weeks!

Last Wednesday, your daddy and I headed back home to MN for the wedding of some very close friends. Your dad actually officiated the ceremony. It was his first time performing a wedding, and I may be biased, but I think he did an amazing job!

So, as you can imagine, it was pretty busy for a few days.

Plus, your dad and I were both getting over a cold. Today is the first day in almost two weeks that I can actually breathe through both nostrils, so I think the cold is losing confidence :)

It was so nice to see lots of wonderful people and dear friends. And, of course, it is always wonderful to see your dad's parents - your grandparents.

It was our first time seeing everyone since the big announcement of your existence, so it was a lot of fun, though, I have to admit, I wish I had a bit more physical evidence to show everyone.

I may notice that my tummy is starting to expand, but pretty much no one else in the world (expect your father) can tell yet.

But the next time we see everyone (for Christmas), you will definitely be more visible, and I can't wait!

I can't wait for the rest of the world to see that I'm pregnant. To see that I'm carrying a beautiful, living, growing baby inside of me.

I realized today how weird it is that I've been pregnant for nearly three months, and that the entire world is completely oblivious to that, because I'm not showing much yet.

How odd!

It's weird to think that I have no idea how many women I pass on a daily basis when I'm shopping or out to eat or going to a movie who are also pregnant, though its so early that you would never be able to tell by looking at them.

Physically, I'm still very, very fatigued pretty much all the time. But I don't mind it. I'm glad that my body is working hard to keep you healthy! Plus, my cold probably didn't help things much.

The nausea is pretty much completely gone now...and I'm not even hungry ALL the time anymore.

Or maybe I'm just getting used to how it feels to be hungry all the time :)

Recently, potatoes (in any form - baked potatoes, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, potato skins, cheesy potatoes, etc) have been my very favorite food. I never realized how good they were! And they're pretty wallet-friendly, so I guess if I'm going to crave a food, that's a pretty good one to pick.

I also have been REALLY liking salads. Which is so weird. Normally, salads are just okay in my books. I mean, I'll eat them, but I'm never that excited about it. But they've been SO good recently.

I guess it's good that I'm craving all these vegetables instead of sweets!

Your dad and I have also been looking into where we are going to have you; I have to call to make appointments for tours with a couple of birthing centers. We want to be sure that you enter the world in the perfect place!

But probably the most ironic and exciting portion of our journey back home came in a bit of a surprise.

We went to see a couple of our friends (who shall remain nameless [at least for now] because they haven't really told many people yet) the day after the wedding.

I had a feeling that they might have some exciting pregnancy news to share, since the last time I talked with them, they told us that they were ttc.

But I figured, especially if it was very early in their pregnancy, they may not tell us until we told them about our little miracle (they don't really keep up on FB, so they didn't find out that way like pretty much the rest of our family and friends did).

So, your dad right away said, "Well, I'm guessing since you don't really use FB that you haven't heard the news that Erin's pregnant."

They were so excited for us and, just as I expected, they told us that they are pregnant, too!

Here's the crazy part: the wife said, "Yeah, we're due April 26th!"

And your dad and I just looked at each other in shock.

"No way! So are we!"

So, there you have it, little one, our very dear friends are due to welcome a baby on the very same day that you are due to enter the world. What are the odds of that?!

They have a house for sale right next door to them, and I kid you not, we almost bought it on the spot. It would be SO nice to live next door to such a wonderful couple who will have a baby the same age as you. And, honestly, if you two do end up being born the same day, I will demand that we do purchase that home so we can all have close friends next door :)

For the record, the wife and I decided that we are in a bit of a contest to see which baby comes first...but we're only going to share the vaguest of details about the birth of our little ones with each other until both of you have been born. No need to scare the other momma about the tortures of labor! We'll just share the typical gender, size, weight, time of birth stuff until we both have our little ones in our arms...then it's a free for all!

And you should have seen the two of us chatting up a storm. The second we found out we had the same due date, there was this instant, even deeper bond that formed between us than before. We talked about pregnancy and labor and genders and all sorts of baby things the whole night. There was no off-switch!

So, my dear one, that is pretty much what happened in our lives in the past couple of weeks.

I love you so, so much, Baby!

Love,

Momma

1 comment:

  1. You've been busy!

    That is so amazing - that you and your friend are due on the same day. You and that family will always have a special bond with each other, no matter what day your babies are born.

    I am so glad to read that you are doing well (besides the cold) and that your little one is doing good too. If you are going to have cravings, you sure are craving the healthy stuff! I think that's great!

    I remember wishing my belly would stick out more for the longest time. Even now, it's definetly bigger.... but I think most people on the street would assume I gained some weight. I still don't have that cute baby bump. At this point, I wonder if I ever will...

    But! I am sure that before you know it, you'll be sporting a cute bump - and it will be obvious to everyone you meet.

    I am just so excited for you and your husband. I can't wait to read more updates and see how your little baby is doing.

    Take good care of yourself now!!

    ReplyDelete