Thursday, April 7, 2011

Awkward Prenatal Appointments & Contractions

Hi Baby,

I know I only wrote to you a few days ago, but we had an awkward and funny experience at our prenatal appointment yesterday that I just had to share with you.

Last week at my 36 week prenatal appointment, my midwife did a cervical check to see if we were making any progress. While there, I asked her if I should expect to have a check done every week, or if that would be it for a while. She told me that we definitely wouldn't do one at the next appointment, but that we might do another one once I reach 38 or 39 weeks, depending on how things are going.

So, yesterday, at my 37 week prenatal appointment, I didn't expect to have a cervical check done. I figured it would be a quick appointment like the rest are, with just having my blood pressure, weight, and fundal height checked, and getting a chance, as always, to listen to your heartbeat for a second.

So, we get to the appointment and the nurse takes my blood pressure and weighs me. Then she tells me, "You're going to go waist-down today so that they can check you." And I said, "Oh, really? Are you sure? At my last appointment, they said that we wouldn't be doing that this week."

"Yes, I'm sure. Once you hit 36 weeks, we have you go waist-down so we can check you every week."

"Okay."

I mean, I wasn't going to argue with her. This is the nurse, for pete's sake. She's much more likely to know what's going on than I am!

So, I head into the exam room, strip down, sit on the table, and wait for the midwife.

Your dad and I chat for a few minutes about how funny it would be if the nurse was wrong, and I really wasn't supposed to be half-naked for the exam today. It would certainly be a story to tell!

In walks the midwife, and sure enough, she looks at me and says something to the effect of, "You just wanted to go waist-down today?"

Oh boy.

Or, as your great-grandpa would say, "Oi vey."

Holy awkward, Batman.

I explained to her that I didn't think I was supposed to, but the nurse insisted. The midwife just kind of chuckled and said, "No, we're not going to check you again this week. It can be kind of disheartening to moms if we check them every week and there isn't much progress. We'll check you again next week."

So, that made for an interesting appointment!

Then, when I laid back for the midwife to measure my stomach and listen to your heartbeat, my stomach was shaped really, really funny. It was all egg-shaped on one side. I figured you just were moving into a silly position, but the midwife said, "Nope - that's a contraction."

Who would've known?

I couldn't feel it AT ALL.

But, now that I know what to look for, I've noticed that I am having tons and tons and tons of braxton hicks contractions (at least, I'm pretty sure they're braxton hicks!).

Sometimes I'll get four or five in a matter of 20 minutes or a half-hour! It's crazy!

Now I'm realizing why it may be difficult to discern real labor from false labor, so I'm hoping for a definite sign when labor actually arrives - like my water breaking, or something along those lines.

Anyway, it looks like my body is doing what it needs to to prepare for your arrival, and I am seriously counting down the days until I get to meet you!

19 days until our EDD!

Love you lots,

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment