Thursday, September 9, 2010

First Appointment

Hi Baby,

So today was it. Today was our very first prenatal appointment. I can no longer say that I have never made it to a prenatal appointment.

It was wonderful...lot's of information, but a great experience.

I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't get to have the appointment with my normal doctor; I guess the clinic I go to has one nurse-midwife who does all of the first prenatal appointments.

Don't get me wrong, she was very nice and did a great job...but it would have been nice to have my regular doctor.

But I will have my regular doctor for the rest of my appointments, though I may also meet with a midwife for some appointments (since we're hoping to go the midwife route with this pregnancy if possible).

I'm also a bit disappointed because she didn't even try to hear your heartbeat...and I was too much of a push-over to ask her to.

But I think she decided to wait on the heartbeat thing because she ended up making an appointment for me to get an ultrasound next week (yay!).

When we first were talking through family history, pregnancy symptoms, etc, I told her that I think that I'm farther along than my last cycle would suggest. She pretty much just blew me off and said that she didn't think so. She was sure that I was exactly as far along as my last cycle would suggest (exactly 7 weeks, 2 days, to be exact).

But when she did the physical exam, she said that my uterus is definitely larger than it should be at 7 weeks...so she changed her tune a bit and said I probably am a bit farther along than my cycle would suggest.

So, she scheduled an ultrasound for next week so that they can take a look and try to get a better idea of how far along I am.

I knew I had to be farther than 7 weeks, and it looks like I'm right...now I just can't wait until next week to meet you, Baby, and find out more specifically how far along I am!

If she hadn't scheduled me to have an ultrasound so soon, I'd probably be really disappointed that we didn't even get to try to find your heartbeat, but since it turned out this way, I think I can make it one more week to meet you.

So, all in all, everything's looking good!

You've been making me feel pretty nauseous lately, so she also gave me some ideas of some medicines to help with that, and hopefully that will also allow me to sleep better.

Anyway, Baby, I'm so excited to meet you next week - keep growing strong until then!

Love,

Momma

2 comments:

  1. 7 weeks, or even a littler further a long is really too soon to find the heartbeat. Anything less than probably 12 or so is hit and miss, depending on the operator, and where baby is.

    So don't feel bad that you didn't get to hear it; if the nurse had tried, she probably wouldn't have found anything.

    Good luck with the ultrasound. Make them give you a printout picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about your good appointment and upcoming ultrasound! There is nothing quite like seeing your baby on that screen for the first time.

    Don't feel bad about the heartbeat thing - I think they usually wait until about 10 or 12 weeks to try.

    Now, I'm not sure about this, but you might get to hear the heartbeat via ultrasound when you go. My early ultrasounds, where you could see the heart flickering (which was amazing), the doctor was able to zoom in on the beating heart, and we heard the heartbeat. They can do this way before a doppler machine can find it.

    But I don't want to get your hopes up about this! I have no idea what kind of ultrasound machine you will have. I'm just throwing it out there that you might get to hear the heartbeat after all.

    Regardless, I'm just so excited for you and so happy that things are going well. I'll be counting down the days until your ultrasound - update your blog as quick as you can!

    ((Big Hugs))

    ReplyDelete